Grace Hopper

Grace Hopper aka the mother of Cobol, was an amazing woman, who helped the US Navy, helped to pressure the industry to make computers and computing more accessible, helped to bring research and career interests to women. I really like when I find out the achievements of women, especially in my field, it gives me chills all over me. She studied in one of the most prestige schools in US, Yale, to gain her master's degree and then a doctorate in maths and mathematical physics. Just after the US entered second world war Hopper jump into the team being assigned to the Bureau of Ships Computation project at Harvard. As you can see, Hopper was a super capable person.

Another of her contributions to the computer world was that she was one of the first persons to bring a name for "bugs" being a bug. I did not even know that we call bugs because there was an actual bug in the machine. But not only she contributed to all of these I just mentioned, but she also was one of the first to code a compiler, as I mentioned was also very motivated to make computers more accessible and with she had I mind the high-level language programming languages.

She was a great teacher, and how I know that you may say, well, easy. When one teacher supports you and the most important thing for her is to understand what is going on. Those are the teachers that are the real MVPs. And for hopper "The most important thing I've accomplished, other than building the compiler, is training young people..." I cannot express myself in 300 words how overwhelmed I am with all the work of Grace Hopper, may she rest in peace. 

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Technical Overview of the CLR

Internals of GCC

The hundred-year language